Improving Our Energy Use
We are currently reviewing opportunities to increase renewable energy installations across our estate to supplement our existing installations.
- Solar panels on marker buoys since the 1990s.
- Solar and wind turbine power at lighthouses since the 1990s.
- Low energy LED navigation lights since the 1990s.
- Solar panels on our two Upper District patrol launches Richmond and Chelsea to supplement power to the onboard electrical systems.
- Solar PV and Solar Thermal at our main sites (see below).
Energy and our buildings
We operate from a number of buildings of varying ages and have fitted energy efficiency measures and renewable energy installations. We are reviewing opportunities to install more renewables and reduce energy consumption and the list below indicates some of our achievements to date:
Opportunities for Renewables
The PLA encourage installing renewable energy or energy efficiency measures on structures in the river and within the river.
- Green Technologies: Advice on installing green technologies.
- Tidal Energy: River site identified for applicants to trial tidal energy generation.
- Heat Source: Information on using the river for heating or cooling.