Commercial operations on the river at Olympics time
Operations on the tidal river are carefully regulated to ensure navigational safety. Setting up a new operation involves careful planning so that you fulfil the requirements of the PLA and, if appropriate, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
The things you will have to cover include:
- Identifying then obtaining permissions and approvals from the individual owners of the piers between which you wish to operate; this is one of the more difficult areas and needs to be considered prior to making any investment
- Full planning for your service, passage planning and risk assessment
- Securing the appropriate operating licence for the vessel you plan to operate (PLA or MCA)
- Ensuring that the vessel is fitted with Thames AIS transponder system
- That the skipper and crew have the appropriate Boat Masters Licence and Local Knowledge Endorsements.
There are no dispensations from the established safety regime for short-term operations.