Thames foreshore access including metal detecting, searching and digging.
Anyone wishing to search the tidal Thames foreshore in any way for any reason must hold a current foreshore permit from the Port of London Authority.
Searching includes all such activities including searching; metal detecting; digging, or ‘scraping’
Type of Permits
The PLA issues two types of foreshore permits.
- Standard - allows digging to a depth of 7.5 cm
- Mudlark - allows digging to a depth of 1.2m
- Applications received within the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the 1st December.
- Applications received outside the 'renewal period' will be issued with a three year permit running from the preceding 1st January.
- Adult £77
- Junior (12-17yrs) £38 (must be accompanied by a permit holding adult)
- Daily £33
Applying for a permit
If you wish to pay by credit/debit card please indicate on page 2 of the application form and you will be provided with a contacted phone number for payment when your application for a permit is processed. Please do not email or send credit card details via post.
No person except in an emergency can enter an area within 70 metres of the northern bank of the river Thames between Westminster Bridge and 200 metres below Lambeth Bridge. (see Foreshore Map - Middle District)